Opinions On Media Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions On Media Servers

Would like some opinions on different servers other than LMS.

I am in love with Roon. It solved all the issues I ever had with LMS and it sounds better on the same gear for some reason.

Comment

You will get more feedback if you identify your priorities and goals....just music or video and photos, are plugins and flexibility important to you, just the server software or are you including hardware, is additional metadata important, etc.

Comment

My apologies for not being more specific. Looking for a free server for Windows to stream my hi-rez flac music files from my VB to the networking option in my new Oppo 203 blu-ray player so that I can use its 32-bit AKM4458 DAC. I've used a Squeeze Box Touch in the past, connected via optical to a Denon AVR. That sound was very good, but the Oppo sound is much better.

However, the Oppo remote and app are not very good for music streaming compared to the SB apps I've used in the past (Orange Squeeze and Squeezer). The Oppo Network option picks up the LMS server but doesn't seem to like it. Playback can freeze, stutter, buffer or just lock up.

I've installed the squeeze2upnp plugin from the Slimdevices forum. This plugin/app integrates UPnP/DLNA players found on my network and lets LMS use them as if they were regular Squeezeboxes. This has enabled me to play my files through the Oppo but use the SB apps. However, it seems temperamental - when it works it's great, but sometimes it won't start or stops (or, perhaps, I just haven't set it up correctly).

I'm going to give both Plex and Minim servers a try. Have just installed them into the VB. I realize that I won't be able to use the SB apps with them but I'm hoping they will provide a more stable music playing environment.

I was just interested in hearing the opinions of more experienced users of other server programs in case it helps my situation.

Thanks.

Comment

It's unfortunate that an unsighted test between the Denon and Oppo probably isn't practical, given the change over time, etc. It would be nice to rule out the placebo effect and also measure the sp levels between the two sources. I assume you are taking the analog out from the Oppo into the Denon? If possible, I would also check the processing path in the Denon. Some AVR's will convert analog in signals to digital, process through the internal DSP circuit, and then back through the AVR DAC. I don't know if this can be by-passed.
          I have yet to find anything that is superior to LMS/Squeezebox or Squeezelite for music after 15 years...at least for my needs in playback and library management.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmi View Post
            It's unfortunate that an unsighted test between the Denon and Oppo probably isn't practical, given the change over time, etc. It would be nice to rule out the placebo effect and also measure the sp levels between the two sources. I assume you are taking the analog out from the Oppo into the Denon? If possible, I would also check the processing path in the Denon. Some AVR's will convert analog in signals to digital, process through the internal DSP circuit, and then back through the AVR DAC. I don't know if this can be by-passed.
            I have yet to find anything that is superior to LMS/Squeezebox or Squeezelite for music after 15 years...at least for my needs in playback and library management.
            And I second you, specially if used together with Muso (www.klarita.net/muso.html), a well designed and very flexible remote front end for Windows.
            Last edited by Dulac; 07-07-2017, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Here’s another option to consider. Connect a Raspberry Pi to your network running the PiCorePlayer distro. Then connect the Pi to your Oppo via USB. That way you get full LMS functionality and you can use all of the controlling apps you like – OrangeSqueeze, etc – and you can take advantage of the Oppo’s DAC. If you’d like to connect via some non-USB digital method, there are add-on boards to the Pi available from HiFiBerry that allow SPDIF.

I use Pi clients for many of my players even if they have DLNA capability. I have a huge music collection and the DLNA interface really doesn’t lend itself to such situations. I also make heavy use of Custom Browse as much of my collection is Classical. DLNA is just too rudimentary and simplistic. If I had a smaller, more mainstream collection it might be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by chabelo View Post
                Here’s another option to consider. Connect a Raspberry Pi to your network running the PiCorePlayer distro. Then connect the Pi to your Oppo via USB. That way you get full LMS functionality and you can use all of the controlling apps you like – OrangeSqueeze, etc – and you can take advantage of the Oppo’s DAC. If you’d like to connect via some non-USB digital method, there are add-on boards to the Pi available from HiFiBerry that allow SPDIF.

I use Pi clients for many of my players even if they have DLNA capability. I have a huge music collection and the DLNA interface really doesn’t lend itself to such situations. I also make heavy use of Custom Browse as much of my collection is Classical. DLNA is just too rudimentary and simplistic. If I had a smaller, more mainstream collection it might be fine.
                I have recently heard of the Raspberry Pi and I would like to look into this further.

However, please understand that I am not particularly technically minded or experienced in this sort of thing.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could recommend which model you would think is appropriate for my music playing needs from this link to the Australian website:

http://raspberry.piaustralia.com.au/

Thank you.

Comment

Please ignore my last post.

I have spent the day doing extensive Googling on the Raspberry Pi and I think I know what direction I'll take.

Many thanks for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by dyohn View Post
                    I am in love with Roon. It solved all the issues I ever had with LMS and it sounds better on the same gear for some reason.
                    You have ONLY changed your server software, nothing in the signal path has changed so it only sounds better because you WANT it to sound better. You have not changed the File and you have not changed the output device, hence it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to sound either better or worse, it HAS to sound the same. You sir have Expectation Bias or are attempting to justify the $119 a year your are spending!

Comment

Whatever approach you decide to take, remember that using analog input to your AVR will very likely result in ADDA processing, so there is no point in using an external DAC.

Comment

Originally posted by chabelo View Post

I have connected a Raspberry Pi to my network. It appears to be up-and-running as I can access the piCorePlayer web gui.

LMS has been installed.

Now, can anyone help me with the necessary settings to connect my Oppo?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

How do you plan to connect the pi...USB, HDMI, digital out?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmi View Post
                            How do you plan to connect the pi...USB, HDMI, digital out?
                            Hi jimmi,

To be honest I don't know - I suppose I was thinking USB or HDMI (does the Pi have optical and digital out?)

However, all I care about is which ever way works.

I'm a bit confused (believe me, that's not hard!) about LMS. On my home network it shows that I have 2 LMS's with different IP addresses - one is running from my VB and the other from piCorePlayer.
                            The VB LMS lists all my music files but no player - the piCorePlayer LMS doesn't list any music files and I can't seem to direct it to my VB music storage folder (\\VORTEXBOX\files\music\) to do a scan. It seems to only give me the option to direct to folders held in it's OS (ie slimserver). It does list piCorePlayer as a player.

I'm in totally unfamiliar territory here. I've been used to my good 'ol SBT for all these years but I'm determined to find out once-and-for-all whether I can use squeezebox apps to play my music files through the Oppo, or whether I'll just have to use it's app and hope that they improve it soon.

Thanks for trying to help.

Comment

You could use a network player like the microRendu attached to your. This acts like a true squeezebox.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/microrendu

If you want spdif out you would need a USB to SPDIF converter as well

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/c...if-converter-1

Comment

Working...
                              X