Windows Can't See VortexBox Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success!!!!

I did the "dnf clean all" / "dnf -y update" / reboot sequence and now everything is back to normal and working as it should. I can get to the VB file folders and files through Windows File Explorer or by typing win+R and entering \\<iip address>. I can copy files from Windows to the VB. I can once again get to the web interface using http://vortexbox.

I am very appreciative to Transporter and to the other forum members who took the time to provide suggestions and encouragement.

One last question: How often should I being doing a "dnf clean all" / "dnf -y update" / reboot sequence?

Thank you!!

Comment

Great! Are you now able to map it as a network drive also? Concerning update frequency, there is no particular schedule. Since Fedora 23, the version used in VB 2.4 is end of life, there are no new updates and it appears that VB also see's few if any updates now. If you use some of the add-on programs like Plex, etc, you may want to check for updates to these from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
        Success!!!!

I am very appreciative to Transporter and to the other forum members who took the time to provide suggestions and encouragement.

One last question: How often should I being doing a "dnf clean all" / "dnf -y update" / reboot sequence?

Thank you!!

Glad we could help, that is what the Forum is all about, finding and providing troubleshooting solutions and of course Enjoying the Music and Movies! With all the updates and packages it appeared you needed plus it failing to complete, it appeared an update or package was struck so a "dnf clean all" is the quickest way to unclog the log jam. As for a schedule, I do a "dnf -y update" on the first Saturday of each month and only do a "clean all" once or twice a year unless I don't get a "clean" task completed report from the "dnf -y update" then of course I do one immediately. Jimmi is correct in there shouldn't be a bunch of updates required from the Fedora side of thing but I believe the Vortexbox DVD auto-rip problems needs solved plus one needs to pull down any updates or tweaks to PLEX, Bliss, and LMS to name a few. Remember one can also just click on the Update Button in the Vortexbox GUI also. The only time that has failed me is a log jam similar to yours and I needed to do a "dnf clean all" as a package was hung without completing the install. Also if using the Vortexbox GUI and it says to reboot after the upgrade finishes, please reboot, if it doesn't, there were no process changes that needed a boot to get them up and running.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts on when and how to keep my system updated.

Frankly, I am a little embarrassed that after using VB for some 6 years I had not already learned about this. But actually I see it more as a testament to the quality of the system. Before I upgraded to version 2.4 last year I operated on whatever shipped with the VB appliance in mid-2011 and it just worked so I never messed with it.

And Jimmi, yes, I can map drives now.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
            Thanks for the thoughts on when and how to keep my system updated.

Frankly, I am a little embarrassed that after using VB for some 6 years I had not already learned about this. But actually I see it more as a testament to the quality of the system. Before I upgraded to version 2.4 last year I operated on whatever shipped with the VB appliance in mid-2011 and it just worked so I never messed with it.

And Jimmi, yes, I can map drives now.

Thanks again.
            Just wanted to thank the posters on this topic.

I've just had the same problem after installing a new modem. VB has run pretty much seamlessly since I first installed it some 6 years ago so I was panicking a bit as I've never struck this problem before.

Followed the instructions to rebuild the network than an update.

All good now!

Many thanks!

Comment

I have two computers recently updated to Win 10 and cannot see the vortexbox file folders. All computers are connected with ethernet through a router, no wireless. Both win10 machines act the same- I can access the vortexbox gui via web browser, and operate LMS via web gui, but can't see the folders to transfer files to the server (via the windows gui).

I went through everything listed above, samba is working on the vortexbox, but the problem persists. When I open the network listing in the file explorer, it shows the LMS, Plex server, and my squeezeboxes, under "Media Devices". I can ping the vortexbox, talk to it via SSH, but can't map network drives or do anything to make Win 10 see the file storage in the vortexbox. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1348
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Clipboard01.jpg Views:	4 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	1347
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mrehorst; 12-18-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Try this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...10-server-2016

Comment

My Win 10 PC recently updated itself to v1709 and I could no longer access the SMB share on my VortexBox. This is apparently because Insecure Guest Access is now disabled by default:
                  https://tech.nicolonsky.ch/windows-1...-guest-access/

I disabled guest access in smb.conf on the VortexBox, added a new user and then added that to Samba. It still didn't help. I had to enable guest access on the PC as described in the linked article. Now I see my VortexBox again in the list of Network devices and I can access my files again from FileExplorer (but now have to enter credentials!).

Interestingly, there wasn't a problem on a laptop that also received the update. On there, the registry setting mentioned is not present.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem as whistler except I'm running VB 2.2. I have done the rebuild/reboot commands, but I can't do dnf -y or dnf clean because I get a message: dnf: command not found. Any ideas?

Comment

risman,
                      VB 2.2 is based on an older Fedora version than VB 2.3 or VB 2.4, the older versions use yum instead of dnf,

try
                      Code:
                      "yum clean all"
                      Code:
                      "yum -y update"
                      Code:
                      reboot
                      cheers
                      /bart

Comment

Hi folks
                        Windows 10 - latest updates have deprecated SMB1 (SAMBA type shares) which some older devices still use. You need to re-enable SMB1 support in Windows (control panel -->turn windows features on / off. Also uncheck the box Automatically disable SMB1 which Windows does every 2 weeks if SMB1 hasn't been detected or used.

On your LINUX / NAS server comment out in the SMB.CONF in the global section this bit

[global]

;max protocol = SMB3 <===========

# can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.

#

workgroup = WORKGROUP

server string = Samba Server Version %v

This should fix some of W10 connections with older distros (I'm running CENTOS 7 with a really old kernel)

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X