Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from v2.3

Hello,

I have been using v2.3 very happily for a long time but was planning to upgrade to v2.4 to use Roon Server. I have the OS installed on an SSD and the music files on 2 HDDs and installing the new OS is, by itself, not a problem.

My question is -
    - do I need to re-make the 2 HDDs from scratch and re-install the music & videos from backup
    or
    - can I leave the 2 HDDs alone, install the new v2.4 OS on the SSD and mount the 2 HDDs back to the SSD as the 'storage' folder?

Grateful for any advice. I was looking for the old wiki & forum to remind myself how I configured the SSD & 2 HDDs in the first place, but I can't locate it. Is it still available for reference purposes?

many thanks
    George

Here's an archive of the old wiki. Not sure if everthing is still there.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151120...?page=HomePage

Comment

Yes. It's alright to "leave the 2 HDDs alone, install the new v2.4 OS on the SSD and mount the 2 HDDs back to the SSD as the 'storage' folder".

Comment

Can you advise how to mount the two [VB 2.3] storage HDDs to a new VB 2.4 install?

The two storage disks (/dev/sda and /dev/sdc) are set up as follows and the VB OS is installed on /dev/sdb

[[email protected] ~]# lsblk /dev/sda
        NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
        sda 8:0 0 1.8T 0 disk
        └─sda1 8:1 0 1.8T 0 part
        └─StorageVM-lv_storage 253:0 0 4.6T 0 lvm /storage

[[email protected] ~]# lsblk /dev/sdc
        sdc 8:32 0 2.7T 0 disk
        └─sdc1 8:33 0 2.7T 0 part
        └─StorageVM-lv_storage 253:0 0 4.6T 0 lvm /storage

[[email protected] ~]# lsblk /dev/sdb
        sdb 8:16 0 111.8G 0 disk
        ├─sdb1 8:17 0 1M 0 part
        ├─sdb2 8:18 0 500M 0 part /boot
        ├─sdb3 8:19 0 256M 0 part [SWAP]
        ├─sdb4 8:20 0 1K 0 part
        └─sdb5 8:21 0 29.3G 0 part /

I will presumably need to adjust the /etc/fstab file of the v2.4 VB installation also to reflect the UUID of the disc to be mounted at /storage. Would it be the same UUID as now?

I'm sorry but I cannot access the link to the old wiki from any of my browsers from any location. I'll raise another post to avoid confusion.

George

Comment

fstab can cause problems. Just use the mount command.

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't understand how that will help as it will not be permanent will it? I would have expected to go through the procedure in the new wiki under the heading
            http://wiki.vortexbox.org/how_to_use...ve_for_storage

2nd potential problem is that the LVM partition spans the two disks sda and sdc and the pair have their own ssid. Will that endure if I transplant the 2 disks to a new VB install? If it does then I can treat the pair as one disk and mount it at /storage.

Comment

It's taken me a while but I have finally upgraded from v2.3 to v2.4 and I thought it would be worth sharing a few points in case they help others as it ended up being much easier than I was expecting.

My v2.3 setup was with the OS on an SSD and the data (/storage folder) on an LVM partition spread over 2 HDDs. Primary use is for LMS and Plex. The change was provoked by the need for v2.4 to run the new Spotty plugin on LMS in order to retain use of Spotify. Also to try out Roon.

1. Turned off the Vortexbox and unplugged all the disks. Plugged a new blank SSD in place of the old one. Plugged in a screen and keyboard. Using the USB stick method as per the wiki, booted up and installed v2.4. Did the 'dnf -y update' command. Instead of expanding the root partition to 30GB, I just filled the disk by using the command

config_4-fill.sh

2. Shutdown and plugged the two HDDs in again, reboot. Checked what was there using fdisk -l. The LVM showed up as

/dev/mapper/StorageVM-lv_storage.

Mounted using the command

mount /dev/mapper/StorageVM-lv_storage /storage

Checked what exists - 'ls /storage' - all the old files were there!

3.Edit fstab to make the LVM partition mount at reboot. 'nano /etc/fstab' Added the line

/dev/mapper/StorageVM-lv_storage /storage ext4 defaults 0 0 reboot

4. ifconfig to check the new IP address (it changed). Log into web interface, configure LMS, install and configure plex etc etc.

Now just tidying up to finish replicating the old customisations - rsyncd for automatic backup to backuppc; mail server & temperature warning scripts. All good.
              Last edited by kingswindsor; 08-26-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X