Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to have a GUI back end instead of terminal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to have a GUI back end instead of terminal?

Hi all, I have tried to install the Fedora desktop for the back end system tat VortexBox is on, because it would be easier for me when ripping CD's there at the system.

[[email protected] ~]# yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop
    Redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf groupinstall X Window System Desktop' (see 'man yum2dnf')

Last metadata expiration check: 0:08:38 ago on Mon May 8 01:29:10 2017.
    Warning: Group 'X Window System' does not exist.
    Warning: Group 'Desktop' does not exist.
    Error: Nothing to do.
    [[email protected] ~]# yum groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE Desktop"
    Redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf groupinstall X Window System KDE Desktop' (see 'man yum2dnf')

Any way of installing this on VortexBox?

EDIT: it also tried with:
    dnf groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop
    dnf groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE Desktop"

but this did not work as well.
    Last edited by SprinterOz; 05-08-2017, 03:33 AM.

I worked out how to Install GNOME Desktop Environment
    Input a command like below starting installation of new packages.
    [1]
    # dnf upgrade

[2]
    # dnf update

[3]
    # dnf -y group install "Fedora Workstation"

[4]
    # echo "exec /usr/bin/gnome-session" >> ~/.xinitrc

[5]
    # startx

[6]
    GNOME Desktop Environment starts Select System language first and follow install prompts.

NOTE: This will be about 1 GB in size

Please consider if you do this through putty, as soon as you end your putty session it will close the desktop on the vortexbox.

To rerun this throw putty or the terminal just run steps 4 & 5 again

[4]
    # echo "exec /usr/bin/gnome-session" >> ~/.xinitrc

[5]
    # startx

To bring up your media server or myvortbox just type in IP in firefox on the backend GUI fedora system once all is up and running.

Hope this helps anyone else wanting to do this.
    Last edited by SprinterOz; 05-08-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

No VortexBox does not support an X windows desktop. Installing one can break features of VortexBox.

Comment

Vortexbox has its own GUI that works inside the perimeters of Vortexbox (not X Windows or Full GNOME). All one has to do is type myvortexbox on the URL line of almost any PC or Laptop on ones local network, then click on the highlighted IP Address, this opens the GUI in a new window. Adding a GNOME Desktop will usually conflict with Vortexbox 2.4 as Andrew mentioned. Vortexbox 2.4 is an OS based on Fedora 23 and once installed it is no longer a regular install of Fedora 23, it IS Vortexbox 2.4 which uses Linux Commands because again it is "based" on Fedora 23. Basically, Vortexbox 2.4 is designed to be a dedicated Music/Movie Media Server with a built in auto-ripper. Yes one can add Bliss, PLEX, SuperSync, Tonido, and other Apps and Programs that run on Linux.

One can use the built-in CD/DVD/Blu-ray ripper if one wants to, or do as many of us do, rip CDs with dBpowerAmp and move the files across the network using Windows File Explorer or set the destination folder in the ripping program to //vortexbox/files/music/flac (I recommend doing this only if both Vortexbox and Ripping PC are both on Ethernet). I am very particular about my tags so I get them as close as possible with the powerful dBpowerAmp before ripping then use MP3tag when the rip is finished to make any additional changes before moving them over the network to Vortexbox. I have also started ripping all my DVDs with MakeMKV but since the file is named title000.mkv, I just have it sent directly to //vortexbox/files/movies where I rename the file using Windows File Explorer after the rip is completed.

Comment

Curious - which features of VB does X Windows break? I've installed X Windows on every VB I've built (over a dozen so far). I don't fire up the GUI environment by default, but having X Windows present is quite convenient for configuration and advanced installation. Tools live Gparted for disc partitioning and formatting and blivet-gui for LVM creation/configuration are far easier to use and more convenient than their command-line counterparts.

All I have to do to get X Windows to exist comfortably in VB is to
          1) disable firewalld
          2) edit ssh_config to allow "Forward X11 yes"
          3) startx one time, go into the GUI environment, go to System Settings .> Sharing and enable Remote Login.

I don't even need to run "startx" to get the above tools to work. I just ssh in from my Linux laptop enabling X windows ("ssh -X"), and only when I need to run them.

I have to say I still miss the control panel from VB 2.3 that allows a user to start/stop a host of services without having to ssh in.

Comment

If you install either desktop you can then install a VNC server and remote desktop into the VB if you don't want to hook up a monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by chabelo View Post

All I have to do to get X Windows to exist comfortably in VB is to
              1) disable firewalld
              2) edit ssh_config to allow "Forward X11 yes"
              3) startx one time, go into the GUI environment, go to System Settings .> Sharing and enable Remote Login.

I don't even need to run "startx" to get the above tools to work. I just ssh in from my Linux laptop enabling X windows ("ssh -X"), and only when I need to run them.
              In case anyone is still following this thread: would it be possible to have an expansion of the quoted solution? I'm pretty much a novice at Linux and the guts of Vortexbox.
              I'm running a headless VB 2.3, with Fedora release 20
              And here's what my Googling has led me to think might be what I have to do -
              1. Use SSH to enter the command (as root) "systemctl disable firewalld"
              2. Edit the file /etc/ssh/ssh_config by changing this line "# ForwardX11 no" to "ForwardX11 yes" (ie take out the # as well as change the no to yes)
              Have I got these right?
              And it's point 3 where I could do with a bit of help - Will I enter the "startx" command using SSH on my network PC? And do I then have to connect a monitor and keyboard to "go into the GUI environment"?
              After I've made the change via the GUI do I then use SSH to enter the command "ssh-X"?

And is there anything else I will need to do on the machine running the SSH terminal to actually see graphical output from the VB?

I started this search thinking I'd use a VNC viewer to see what's going on in the fairly-inaccessible cupboard where I keep my Vortexbox. But that could be a vain hope.

Comment

Hmph. When I loaded this I thought I could run it standalone since I have a local monitor/kbd/mouse installed. Disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                X