trying (unsuccessfully) to run VB on Lenovo Thinkcenter M72e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying (unsuccessfully) to run VB on Lenovo Thinkcenter M72e

I'm trying to run Vortexbox 2.4 on a Lenovo Thinkcenter model M72e. Machine type 4004-G7U, tiny form factor. It has a 1 tb SATA drive and I've changed the BIOS stetting between IDE & AHCI, no joy.
    The processor is an Intel core i5. The load process completes fine, I remove the USB and reboot and it throws up a 1962 operating system not found message. If I take that 2.5" drive out, put it into a laptop and it boots fine, so I know it loaded correctly. I am able to load and run windows 8.1, 10 and Debian 8 (all 64 bit) with no issues. This little box has a nice footprint and it would be nice to use it as a music server/player. I've also tried loading VB 2.3...no go. Anyone have any suggestions?

If the PC has UEFI firmware and a GPT format Vortexbox will not boot.
    You might need to disable UEFI and set legacy boot and format the drive as non gpt

Comment

If you want to format the partition use a free live CD of Gparted and change the partition table to msdos

Comment

Well, I disabled UEFI and set it for Legacy Boot. Next I downloaded & created a Gparted CD, deleted all the existing partitions and changed the partition table to msdos. Reloaded VB 2.4, rebooted and the same thing, no OS found. Rebooted the PC with Gparted and picked the option to load the OS in hard drive. VB came up! I was able to logon, perform the post install steps with updates & resizing the free space for storage, rebooted and it just will not boot from that HD. Any other suggestions? Appreciate the help!

Comment

I have an atom PC 64 bit that will not accept VB 2.4 so I just installed 2.3. Perhaps that will work for you.

Comment

Loaded VB 2.3 and it worked! Pretty sure I tried that a couple weeks ago, but the BIOS settings have been modified with UEFI & such since then, but happy to have some version of VB running on this little guy.
            Thanks for the help pclinux1!

Comment

Glad it worked - another happy Vortexbox user! Now do what I did - install Plex on Vortexbox

Comment

Working...
              X