Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

piCorePlayer settings with VBA (complete beginner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeanMiddleton
    replied
    Originally posted by boolittlek View Post
    Hi All,

I've been using a VortexBox appliance for the last few years with my three Squeezeboxes (Classic, Radio, and Touch). I've noticed recently that the Classic is starting to have a few issues, and I've decided to have a go at the Raspberry Pi / piCorePlayer replacement route.

I'm brand new to both Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer. I've been doing some reading online and watching a few videos. Most of the pCP videos I've seen involve using a USB drive or putting music on the Pi's micro SD card. I did find a short description of adding a Synology NAS network share (https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/), but I have some questions about creating a VBA network share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pi core network disk mount.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	3526

Setup Network Disk Mount

Mount Point--I'm assuming this is just a name I assign to my VBA for pCP?

IP Address--address of my VBA

Share Name--is this '\\vortexbox\files\music'?

ShareType--I'm not sure what should go here

Username/Password--my VBA username and password

Options--I'm not sure what should go here

I'm also unsure what to do with the the 'clear configuration data for unused shares' and 'maximum wait' options.

The Synology NAS instructions I referenced mention some settings that have to be configured on the NAS itself. Does anything similar have to be done with a VBA? If so, what?

Lastly, can I continue to use the LMS installed on my VBA (using the Raspberry Pi simply as a player)? If so, do I need to do anything special to make that happen, or will setting up the share take care of that? Or alternatively, should I install LMS when setting up pCP and only use my VBA for my music files?

Thanks very much for your help!
    Kristen
    What you need to do is attach a DAC board (see hifiberry.com) to your RasPi with Picoreplayer installed. Then get an 'Official RaspberryPi 7" touchscreen' and a touchscreen case. Install the Jivelite option in Picoreplayer. What you then have is the equivalent (much better actually) of the Squeezebox Touch. The Jivelite screen on the touchscreen is an exact copy of the Touch and since you can have a 24/192 DAC you actually have something superior to the Touch and at a lower cost. I have built many. I cant post any photos on this forum but here's a link to a guy thats done something similar http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/0...raspberry.html

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied
    My advice would be to put your music on a USB drive and connect that directly to your rPi. If you only need LMS and not the other functions of VB, then I'd run LMS on the rPi, using music from your attached USB drive. You can have LMS on both the VB and rPi, but you only need one or the other. I suspect you'll get more help with mounting the VB as a network share, if you want to go that route, from posting at the slimdevices forum. More active discussion of rPi there than here. And from the rPi perspective, your VB is just like any other network share (so doesn't require any VB expertise).

Leave a comment:

• boolittlek
    started a topic piCorePlayer settings with VBA (complete beginner)

piCorePlayer settings with VBA (complete beginner)

Hi All,

I've been using a VortexBox appliance for the last few years with my three Squeezeboxes (Classic, Radio, and Touch). I've noticed recently that the Classic is starting to have a few issues, and I've decided to have a go at the Raspberry Pi / piCorePlayer replacement route.

I'm brand new to both Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer. I've been doing some reading online and watching a few videos. Most of the pCP videos I've seen involve using a USB drive or putting music on the Pi's micro SD card. I did find a short description of adding a Synology NAS network share (https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/), but I have some questions about creating a VBA network share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pi core network disk mount.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	3526

Setup Network Disk Mount

Mount Point--I'm assuming this is just a name I assign to my VBA for pCP?

IP Address--address of my VBA

Share Name--is this '\\vortexbox\files\music'?

ShareType--I'm not sure what should go here

Username/Password--my VBA username and password

Options--I'm not sure what should go here

I'm also unsure what to do with the the 'clear configuration data for unused shares' and 'maximum wait' options.

The Synology NAS instructions I referenced mention some settings that have to be configured on the NAS itself. Does anything similar have to be done with a VBA? If so, what?

Lastly, can I continue to use the LMS installed on my VBA (using the Raspberry Pi simply as a player)? If so, do I need to do anything special to make that happen, or will setting up the share take care of that? Or alternatively, should I install LMS when setting up pCP and only use my VBA for my music files?

Thanks very much for your help!
    Kristen

Working...
X