Cannot access SMB share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot access SMB share

Since a reasonably recent W10 update (at least I think that's what caused it), I cannot access any of my music over my network from my PC. My mapped drives are disconnected in Explorer and attempts to connect result in "You can't access this shared folder because your organisation's security policy blocks unauthenticated guest access." However, Insecure guest logins IS enabled - I've checked using both gpedit and regedit. The only solution I can find on Google is to enable what is already enabled. Any ideas anyone?

Originally posted by Fifer View Post
    Since a reasonably recent W10 update (at least I think that's what caused it), I cannot access any of my music over my network from my PC. My mapped drives are disconnected in Explorer and attempts to connect result in "You can't access this shared folder because your organisation's security policy blocks unauthenticated guest access." However, Insecure guest logins IS enabled - I've checked using both gpedit and regedit. The only solution I can find on Google is to enable what is already enabled. Any ideas anyone?
    It all has to do with samba 1 vs newer samba 2. VB only works with samba 1. Win 10 machines seem to only work with samba2. I made the same changes you made on my machine, but my machine is a work machine and still didn't work. The IT guys at work tell me that I'm not able to change this, because the restriction is managed at their level.

This said, I can now use WinSCP or Filezilla to connect to my VB and upload/download files.

Comment

Originally posted by garym View Post

It all has to do with samba 1 vs newer samba 2. VB only works with samba 1. Win 10 machines seem to only work with samba2. I made the same changes you made on my machine, but my machine is a work machine and still didn't work. The IT guys at work tell me that I'm not able to change this, because the restriction is managed at their level.

This said, I can now use WinSCP or Filezilla to connect to my VB and upload/download files.
      That's what I was starting to think Gary - thanks. All I really need to be able to do is transfer files back and forth, so I'll look into the WinSCP and Filezilla ideas - cheers.

Comment

Just installed WinSCP. Looks ideal - thanks.

Comment

I have the same problem: my Windows 10 laptop wont show my files on my VBAppiiance anymore, so I can't edit them or drag and drop new ones. I downloaded WinSCP, entered the VBA IP address as shown in my router into the host name box, selected FTP with no encryption, entered "root" as the user name and "vortexbox" as the password. I hit save and then login but no joy: I get an error saying the remote target actively refused the connection.

I'm a little dense with network stuff. Any tips or suggestions I should try? Is Filezilla more novice friendly? As always, thanks for the kind support and I hope Vortexbox and this forum hang around for a while.

Comment

Filezilla is about the same, not easier, although both are pretty easy once you set it up properly. See the picture below for my settings. Be sure to select SFTP and port number 22. I'm not sure if linux is case sensitive, but my name and pw are all lower case. Yours would be the same except for the IP address. I click login, then it asks for my password. I enter, then i'm on a screen with local computer file browser on left, and Vortexbox file browser on the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	3351

Comment

Wow, that did it! Thank you so much! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Comment

excellent

Comment

I'm getting the hang of transferring files now. Is there a way to use MP3tag on the remote (those on my VBA) files while still in the WinSCP app? I had to transfer files from VBA to my laptop, tag them outside of WinSCP, then send them back to the VBA via WinSCP. This is a cumbersome process, and I have a lot of renaming and sorting to do. I bet smarter people than I have a better way.

Once again my thanks to the members of this forum for their kind support. what a relief to access those vortexbox files again!

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. If I have minor edits to do, I download the albums from the vortexbox with this app, then do my edits, then upload the album back to vortexbox, allowing it to replace the existing files. If you have a lot of work to do, perhaps backup your vortexbox files to an attached (to vortexbox) USB drive (you should be doing this anyhow). Connect this USB drive to your PC, do all your tag editing, with the setting that allows the dates of the edited files to be modified (so they showup as new* for the restore step), attached the USB drive to the Vortexbox and with VB GUI, select Restore, to restore the updated files back to the VB.

Comment

Working...
                    X