IP address help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP address help needed

I've been using VB since 2012 (and squeezeboxen/LMS for a long time before that). A few months back, I bit the bullet and rebuilt my system to VB 2.5 - my Linux "skills" are somewhat rudimentary, but after a few false starts and blind alleys, my system is up and running (although not without a few oddities, of which I may post later).

After a few weeks of running 2.5 happily, the allocated IP address seemed to change for no apparent reason (from 192.168.1.95 to 192.168.1.somethingelse). That screwed up the mapping of my fileshares on Windows, so I tried to re-assign 192.168.1.95, but somehow have ended up with the VB on 192.168.2.228. I'm not even sure I was aware I could allocate anything to the 192.168.2.subnet, but it's stuck there and I'm not sure how to get it back. Any ideas?

Filter,
    as found in the wiki :

How do I reset the network settings on my VortexBox
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's possible to incorrectly set the network settings on your VortexBox. This can cause your VortexBox to not be accessible on your network.
    To reset your VortexBox you will need to attach a monitor and keyboard to your VortexBox. Once you have done this power on your VortexBox.
    You will get a login prompt where you can login with user root and password vortexbox
    Then type:
    Code:
    fix_network rebuild
    reboot
    this will set your VortexBox back to DHCP. You should now be able to get to it from your network.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and also from the wiki :

https://wiki.vortexbox.org/handy_linux_commands_for_vortexbox?s[]=ifconfig

What is the IP Address of my Vortexbox?
    Code:
    ifconfig -a

https://wiki.vortexbox.org/how_do_i_...c_ip_address?s[]=address
    Setting up networking from the VB command line
    If you can't access the VB GUI, you can connect a monitor and keyboard to the VB and set up networking there:
    1. Log in to the VB as root.
    2. Enter
    Code:
    system-config-network
    3. Choose the appropriate options to set up a DHCP or static IP address

Or did you 'allocate' the address in your Router ?

cheers
    /bart

Comment

Thanks! This will help folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bart View Post
        Filter,
        as found in the wiki :

It's possible to incorrectly set the network settings on your VortexBox. This can cause your VortexBox to not be accessible on your network.
        To reset your VortexBox you will need to attach a monitor and keyboard to your VortexBox. Once you have done this power on your VortexBox.
        You will get a login prompt where you can login with user root and password vortexbox
        Then type:
        Code:
        fix_network rebuild
        reboot
        this will set your VortexBox back to DHCP. You should now be able to get to it from your network.

and also from the wiki :

https://wiki.vortexbox.org/handy_linux_commands_for_vortexbox?s[]=ifconfig

What is the IP Address of my Vortexbox?
        Code:
        ifconfig -a

https://wiki.vortexbox.org/how_do_i_...c_ip_address?s[]=address
        Setting up networking from the VB command line
        If you can't access the VB GUI, you can connect a monitor and keyboard to the VB and set up networking there:
        1. Log in to the VB as root.
        2. Enter
        Code:
        system-config-network
        3. Choose the appropriate options to set up a DHCP or static IP address

Or did you 'allocate' the address in your Router ?

cheers
        /bart
        Thanks Bart. I'd seen that wiki entry, but fix_network rebuild then reboot seems to leave it with the same 192.168.2.228 IP address. I can access it from a browser (on 192.168.2.228), but everything else on my network is on the 192.168.1.x subnet. I can't figure out what is dishing out the address on the .2. subnet - my router is on 192.168.1.254. My router doesn't see the VB. I tried system-config-network but that returns "command not found".

Comment

Working...
        X