Running Vortexbox When Internet Is Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Vortexbox When Internet Is Down

I have my VB (v. 2.3) connected to the modem in my study. I stream my music files to a Squeezebox Touch connected to a Denon AVR in my lounge room sound system over the home network.

Ever since I bought the VB about 5-6 years ago this has worked perfectly for me. However, recently we had a major internet outage in my area and it was down for 24 hours.

It made me think about whether I could still play my files when the internet is down.

Can I connect the VB directly to the Squeezebox via the USB inputs, or to the Denon AVR, or do I just have to break out the vinyl collection in this situation and use my T/T?

Are you talking about streaming your own files? If so, you don't have to do anything special. If I turn off my modem (so my internet is not working), I can still play my own music files on my Squeezebox players. This process is not using the internet....it is using the VB streaming files to my players via my local network (which is created by my router).

Edit: if the outage affected your internal network, then something is odd about your router setup. Your home's internal network should NOT be affected by external internet access.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is streaming my own music files saved in the VB via the Wi Fi in my Squeezebox. I use a Billion BiPac 7800N modem. The VB ethernet cable is plugged into the modem.

I was under the impression that the Squeezebox Wi Fi was necessary to stream from the VB into my lounge room set up. When the outage happened I just assumed that it wouldn't work because there was no internet.

The next time an outage occurs I'll have to test it.

Comment

WIFI is needed to stream. But wifi in your house has nothing to do with internet access. I have a vacation house with no internet, but I have a router setup to create a network in the house (including WIFI) with a VB setup (ethernet connected to router) and squeezeboxes. All works fine for streaming music from the VB.

Comment

Originally posted by garym View Post
          WIFI is needed to stream. But wifi in your house has nothing to do with internet access. I have a vacation house with no internet, but I have a router setup to create a network in the house (including WIFI) with a VB setup (ethernet connected to router) and squeezeboxes. All works fine for streaming music from the VB.
          I as well do the exact same thing at our cabin on the Toccoa River. No Internet (cell phone doesn't even work there), using one of my replaced older wifi routers, 2.4 Vortexbox running on a 2TB NUC via Ethernet, Touch in the lodge room with the main stereo/TV, Boom in the Kitchen, Baby in the bedrooms and master bath (one just has to listen to smooth Jazz while shaving). I use a Roku3 running Roku Media Player with an 8TB USB Drive to stream movies to the TV (nice not needing a server, just a USB Drive and a Roku3). All I have to take back and forth is the USB Drive so I can change or update movies. Every once in a while, I put the tiny NUC in the glovebox and change the music out on it from the main home server.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies.

I must apologize for my ignorance regarding this matter. I am a little confused but I am sure you will clear that confusion up.

My Billion BiPac 7800N is both a modem/router. On the back it has:

1. DSL port (DSL cable connected)
            2. EWAN port (nothing connected)
            3. 4 x Giga Ethernet ports. My PC is connected to one of the ports, the Vortexbox to another.
            5. WPS button.

I suppose that this setup would mean I am using it as a straight modem? (if that makes a difference).

If I have interpreted your comments correctly, are you saying that I would need to set up a router as well? From the research I have done on Google in the past 24 hours to do this I would have to put the BiPac into a bridge mode.

Or, have I set up the BiPac incorrectly in the first place?

As I have mentioned previously, my Squeezebox is connected to my Denon AVR in another room. When I set up the squeezebox I used the Wi-Fi connection because the DSL connection is located in my study in another part of the house and I would have to run a very long ethernet cable to it, (which would not impress my wife having this cable running along the lounge room floor!).

Again, my apologies for my lack of knowledge. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Comment

It sounds to me as if everything is connected properly and should work. You don't have to wait for the internet to go out to test this. Just remove the DSL cable from the DSL port on the back of the BiPac. Then you'll have your setup as if the internet is down. You can then test that you can play your own music. Everything *should* work, wifi, etc. But again, trivial to test by unplugging one cable.

Comment

Did the test - all good.

Again, thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X