X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• durks
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgs View Post
    I want to do a final backup of the vortexbox as I think it is dying. However I can’t access the GUI now to do this. Previously I attached my USB drive and it would backup via the GUI option no problem. Could anyone tell me the commands to do an incremental backup via the command line please?
    Just for the record:
    1. Vortexbox arranges backups using the 'rsync' utility, which by now is a Linux standard for mirroring data.
    2. The vortexbox script which does this is /opt/vortexbox/dobackup.sh - and you can see if you take a look at that script that the relevant command line therein is
      HTML Code:
      rsync --archive --verbose --delete --force /storage/ /backup/storage/ >> /var/log/usbbackup.log
    3. So, to arrange a manual (and, by virtue of how rsync works, by definiition an incremental) backup at the command line, what's necessary is to mount your backup USB drive on /backup, then run the above command, and then finally unmount your drive.
    To mount your USB drive, run 'mount /dev/sd[n]1 /backup', where '[n]' is the drive letter allocated to your USB drive. (It might typically be 'b' - but that all depends on the details of your machine, and what other discs are already configured. To see for sure, look at the output of 'dmesg' after you've plugged in your USB drive.)

To unmount your USB drive when the rsync has completed, type 'umount /backup.'

All the above needs to be run as root. Proceed with appropriate caution! There are steps which could (and probably, should) be made in the course of all this in order to confirm that things are set up correctly, and that you're rsync'ing to the actually desired destination.

I'm happy to help/discuss further, but I assume you're okay in the current case, and am really just making these basic notes here in case they might be of use to others nj the future.

Leave a comment:

• durks
    replied
    Originally posted by Morgs View Post
    I want to do a final backup of the vortexbox as I think it is dying. However I can’t access the GUI now to do this. Previously I attached my USB drive and it would backup via the GUI option no problem. Could anyone tell me the commands to do an incremental backup via the command line please?
    Do you still need help with this? (I would have replied sooner, but I have had trouble accessing these forums.)

Leave a comment:

• Doris1997
    replied
    Thanks, My Granddaughter (Charlize) we call her Charlie !
    Last edited by Doris1997; 09-06-2019, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied
    What a cute kid in the Doris1997 profile picture!

Leave a comment:

• Doris1997
    replied
    Try a USB Ethernet network adapter?

Leave a comment:

• Morgs
    replied
    I want to do a final backup of the vortexbox as I think it is dying. However I can’t access the GUI now to do this. Previously I attached my USB drive and it would backup via the GUI option no problem. Could anyone tell me the commands to do an incremental backup via the command line please? Thanks. I last backed up about 6 months ago so just need the few changes that have happened since then.

Leave a comment:

• Morgs
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Much appreciated. Attached is a screen shot of when I type ifconfig Looks like the Ethernet card isn’t transmitting or receiving anything. I have tried different cables but no joy. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Doris1997
    replied
    When you connect directly to your vortexbox with monitor and keyboard log on as root use password VortexBox and type --> ifconfig

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied
    Thanks. And when you login as root the password is
    vortexbox

Leave a comment:

• pclinux1
    replied
    When you connect directly to your vortexbox with monitor and keyboard log on as root and type --> ip addr show

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied
    Probably is, but I’m not a Linux guy. Try googling for such a command. This forum seems to be rarely used these days.

Leave a comment:

• Morgs
    replied
    Thanks. I have tried that too already. I have a couple of old routers all set up for dhcp so have tried attaching the box directly to each of them. None of them would give the box an address.

Is is there a command I can run that will show me the status of the network card?

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied
    Move the VB temporarily (or use a long Ethernet cable) so that you can connect it via Ethernet cable directly to your router. If this works with dhcp then it means your POE is causing the problem.
    Last edited by garym; 08-22-2019, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Morgs
    replied
    Yes I did attach a monitor and everything seemed to boot up OK and it came to the usual login point. However where it usually shows you the Ip address it was blank and said "DHCP not working" or similar. I had set the IP address to static by amending the boot settings but have also tried DHCP - neither were giving an IP address. It is as if it is just not connected to the network leading me to think the network card has gone.

I am now wondering whether the switch it is connected to has caused the problem. The switch is from Unifi with PoE but this should only be triggered if it sense that power is required. I did some research and this shouldn't be a problem....but maybe it has blown the card!

I really want to try and get my VortexBox going again and my Linux knowledge is fairly limited. Could someone tell me how to check if the network card is OK?

Leave a comment:

• garym
    replied
    Try attaching a monitor to your VB so you can see what is happening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X