No announcement yet.

Can’t get an IP address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, My Granddaughter (Charlize) we call her Charlie !
    Last edited by Doris1997; 09-06-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
      I want to do a final backup of the vortexbox as I think it is dying. However I can’t access the GUI now to do this. Previously I attached my USB drive and it would backup via the GUI option no problem. Could anyone tell me the commands to do an incremental backup via the command line please?
      Do you still need help with this? (I would have replied sooner, but I have had trouble accessing these forums.)

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
        I want to do a final backup of the vortexbox as I think it is dying. However I can’t access the GUI now to do this. Previously I attached my USB drive and it would backup via the GUI option no problem. Could anyone tell me the commands to do an incremental backup via the command line please?
        Just for the record:
        1. Vortexbox arranges backups using the 'rsync' utility, which by now is a Linux standard for mirroring data.
        2. The vortexbox script which does this is /opt/vortexbox/dobackup.sh - and you can see if you take a look at that script that the relevant command line therein is
          HTML Code:
          rsync --archive --verbose --delete --force /storage/ /backup/storage/ >> /var/log/usbbackup.log
        3. So, to arrange a manual (and, by virtue of how rsync works, by definiition an incremental) backup at the command line, what's necessary is to mount your backup USB drive on /backup, then run the above command, and then finally unmount your drive.
        To mount your USB drive, run 'mount /dev/sd[n]1 /backup', where '[n]' is the drive letter allocated to your USB drive. (It might typically be 'b' - but that all depends on the details of your machine, and what other discs are already configured. To see for sure, look at the output of 'dmesg' after you've plugged in your USB drive.)

To unmount your USB drive when the rsync has completed, type 'umount /backup.'

All the above needs to be run as root. Proceed with appropriate caution! There are steps which could (and probably, should) be made in the course of all this in order to confirm that things are set up correctly, and that you're rsync'ing to the actually desired destination.

I'm happy to help/discuss further, but I assume you're okay in the current case, and am really just making these basic notes here in case they might be of use to others nj the future.

Comment

Working...
        X