Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GUI Updates Complete "Nothing to Do" Then Report "dnf update fails"!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUI Updates Complete "Nothing to Do" Then Report "dnf update fails"!

Having been running [and updating] VB software on a VBA for several years, with no probs. Recently, a power outage borked my 2.3 install so I did a clean 2.4 install and restored everything from backup. No probs and everything seemed OK. However, the last couple of updates from the GUI have reported:

0 files removed
    Dependencies resolved.
    Nothing to do.
    Complete!

but then, approx 4 mins later, the following also appears in the log:

11/16/2018 11:54:15 - Error: dnf update failed. Check error messages and try to fix problems.

I was reasonably comfortable with updating via yum but haven't really got my head around dnf. So, can anyone please tell me if this message simply means that there is nothing to update OR that there is nothing to update but there is some sort of problem with dnf (if so, where do I find the referenced error messages?) OR that the entire update attempt has failed due to some sort of dnf problem?

I'm quite comfortable with the linux command line but just haven't got enough linux knowledge to know how to fix this (or even whether I actually do have a problem!). That being the case, I'd really appreciate it if someone with a bit more knowledge could point me in the right direction.

As always, thanks in advance for any help. it's always much appreciated

Try updating from the command line and see if you get the same message. dnf clean all: dnf update

Comment

Did a dnf clean and update from the command line. Appeared to go correctly (50 files removed, 15 files applied, all verified). Then rebooted. Everything working OK. Then tried an update from the GUI with results as per the original post i.e. reported nothing to do followed a couple of minutes later by the dnf updated failed error!

I've no problems doing future updates from the command line but I really would like to know what this dnf update error is. Does it simply reflect nothing to update or is there a more fundamental problem with updating from the GUI? I check for updates every 4 weeks so when the next check comes up I'll try it from the GUI first and then the command line. Hopefully, I'll see updates from the GUI and then nothing from the command line - if the reverse happens, then that will be a bit more attention-grabbing! :-)

In the meantime, anyone got any ideas what this dnf updated failed error actually means?

Comment

I tried the GUI for an upgrade after I had upgraded from the command line to see if I got the same error message. I didn't.

11/17/2018 15:45:47 - Starting upgrade. (This can take a long time...)

0 files removed
        Dependencies resolved.
        Nothing to do.
        Complete!
        Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:18 ago on Sat Nov 17 15:48:56 2018.
        Dependencies resolved.
        Nothing to do.
        Complete!
        11/17/2018 15:49:23 - Upgrade complete. Please reboot your VortexBox.

Comment

Interesting! So presumably, my install is failing at the point where dnf tries to do Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:18 ago on Sat Nov 17 15:48:56 2018 (whatever that is!) since that appears to be the point where I get the error message.

Googling around, dnf seems to have the potential to throw a lot of errors and, indeed, this specific use case (works from command line, fails from VB GUI) has been reported by other users (e.g. https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/supp...ed-dnf-updates).

So, I guess the question is what is the install trying to do when it does the 'Last metadata expiration check" and why does it only seem to do this from the VB update option? More importantly, is it going to cause me future problems (I'm quite happy to keep updating from the command line) and/or how do I fix it (there's lot of suggestions online about fixing dnf errors but I don't know nearly enough linux to understand implications of the fixes being suggested).

Comment

Working...
          X