Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected inconsistency; run fcsk manually

Good day,
    I have an older Vortebox appliance. When the system boots I get the subject error message. See picture below.
    IMG_20180509_103223793.jpg
    I hit Ctrl D and then it all works. The system boots with this:

IMG_20180509_110730290_LL.jpg

What should I do here? This error shows up at every boot/shutdown.

Unfortunatly you attached image fails to display, but if your VortexBox is wanting you to run fsck at startup, it suggests there is an issue with your hard drive. It may be fixed by backing up all your data & re-installing VortexBox, (good opportunity to update to the latest version), or possibly your hard drive is failing.

It would be worth trying a backup & re-install. If that fails or the error message continues, you're up for a new hard drive.

Comment

Images and attachments don't work, so I am assuming that /storage is stuffed.
      I had this recently. Hook up a display and a keyboard or use Putty to sh in to your system . Note that if you use Putty you will have to add a -y switch that automatically answers y to each question.

Steps.
      1. boot up and un mount /storage -
      umount /storage

2. Run fsck ,
      fsck -f -y /dev/StorageVM/lv_storage (you can leave out the -y if you are running using an attached keyboard and screen)

3. You will have to decide if you have a stuffed disk yourself, if you only have a few errors it may be due to a power outage, but if you have a gazillion errors then .......

On my VBox, I had to connect a display and keyboard and ctrl-d to log in as root. I then edited /etc/fstab and commented out the /storage line and ran fsck several times.

Comment

Thanks. I was able to run fsck and had to hit y a lot.

I do think it's time to replace the HD. Is there a command I can run to identify what replacement HD I need to buy?
        Last edited by jamottep; 05-15-2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jamottep View Post
          Thanks. I was able to run fsck and had to hit y a lot.

I do think it's time to replace the HD. Is there a command I can run to identify what replacement HD I need to buy?
          No command. I suggest that you contact Small Green Computer in your country and talk with them.

If your system is a 2 disk install - Operating system on a small disk, data on a large disk, then it will be easy, however if it is a single disk system then it is a complete re-install / re-build.

Comment

Working...
          X