Need Instructions On How To UNMOUNT A USB Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Instructions On How To UNMOUNT A USB Drive

I recently posted two topics - "How To Use a USB Drive For The VortexBox Media Library - Creating Top-Level Folders" and "Vortexbox Box Has Just...Disappeared".

I've discovered that the two are linked. After mounting the USB drive for media files I went and unplugged it. This caused my VB, which is a stand alone machine connected by ethernet to my modem, to disappear off my network, but I didn't connect the association at the time.

I went and reinstalled the VB (2.4) and reloaded all my music files from my back up. No problem, just took all night.

Yesterday I decided to have another try at using the external USB for music files - please don't ask why, I just had an idea in my head but this method doesn't achieve what I had in mind. Anyway, after realizing that this wasn't what I really wanted, I unplugged the USB and went away to do something else. When I came back to my PC and went to open the music folder in VB it had disappeared again.

That's when the light bulb lit up above my head. I plugged the USB back into the VB and, voila, it came back. I guess it's like removing the OS drive from a PC.

To save me reinstalling 2.4 again to correct the problem, does anyone know of a way where I can just unmount the external USB.

Thanks.

umount ? (not unmount)
    as in: 'umount /dev/sdb1' (where sdb1 should be replaced by the proper device-name)
    I guess you have to alter the procedure described in the wiki https://wiki.vortexbox.org/how_to_use_a_usb_drive_for_storage?s[]=mount
    by unmounting the drive and mount /storage and edit /etc/fstab back to original state

disclaimer: it's a calculated guess, so as long nobody else chimes in, use at own risk!

cheers
    /bart
    Last edited by bart; 05-07-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks bart. Didn't work but no real problem. Just reinstalled again. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Working...
      X