Can't boot from USB flash drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't boot from USB flash drive

I want to install Vortexbox 2.4 (currently have 2.2 installed), ideally in the same SoTM Music Server where 2.2 is now. I’m not sure how to get it into the SoTM, but I did try to install it to an empty external HDD after burning the .iso to a 32 GB FAT32 formatted USB drive. I cannot get ANY computer to boot from the USB drive. I’m running Windows 10 on a desktop and on a Dell XPS 13 (9343) laptop. I can’t boot from the USB drive on either of those machines (which don’t inherently allow switching the BIOS boot order to a USB drive, although I did try legacy settings that seemed to allow for a USB boot, but still no luck. Even on another Win 10 desktop with a different BIOS that DID allow booting first from a USB drive, it wouldn’t boot. I’m at my wit’s end. Anybody have any suggestions? Please make it pretty basic, as I’m pretty much a novice at this stuff (I don’t know anything about Linux but I know I can access the Vortexbox from Windows using Putty. But I don’t know how to access the drive in the SoTM machine, nor, as I’ve said, can I boot to ANY computer from the USB drive.

On most computers you press an F key get the boot menu. I have seen F11, F10, and F6 on different BIOSes. The SoTM uses an INTEL mother board. Try delete or F2 at boot for the BIOS menu or F10/F11 to get the Boot menu.

Did you follow the instruction and run the script that enables booting?

Comment

No problem getting to the boot menu and yes I followed all instructions to make a bootable USB drive. The boot menu on my desktop and laptop doesn't have a direct option for booting from a USB device unless you use Legacy mode, which I tried, but still no booting.

Comment

Some progress: I was able to create a bootable cd. Now my question is whether I can insert that CD into my SoTM machine and it will boot from that CD? Can I use the Vortexbox GUI on my desktop, with Putty to give commands or will rebooting do something to the GUI. If for some reason I'm unable to use the GUI, how do I connect a keyboard and monitor to the SoTM machine?

Comment

You need a monitor and keyboard attached to the computer that you want to install VortexBox on. It can not be installed from remote.

Comment

Working...
          X