No announcement yet.

New router and modem - IP Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have network problems try login in from the console (monitor and keyboard) and type

fix_network

This fixes most network problems.

Comment

thanks everyone for your help!!! I really appreciate it.

when I try to login in from the console (monitor and keyboard) the only prompt I have is for username then password...that's it...and have no success when I plug in the Login as root, password vortexbox

I tried an IP scanner and have plugged in all the IP addresses listed and none work....not sure why

So I've come to terms with the fact that I may need to reinstall vortexbox and then re-rip all my cd's and I'm ok with that.....I guess the question with that is how do I create a "run" thumb drive
      I've copied all the files over to the thumb drive and now what?

Comment

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!!!
        Ok i talked to the company that did the initial setup and although the tried to send someone out at $$$ to fix the problem he eventually gave me a suggestion

He figured the IP address changed and was not "syncing" with my new router.....blah blah blah..or something like that...
        Told me to do the following
        - change the TCPIP to manually and then put in the old vortex IP address and change the last digits from ...205 to ...2
        - and bam i'm at the vortex home page!!!

just not sure what do from here

Comment

from my vortex homepage i think i need to go to Network Configuration and change some of the info there to match something somewhere

Comment

OR as i look through this i also noted under the Configure VortexBox Player there is a box for MAC address....is this something that needs to be changed?

Comment

the install guy also gave me a few options for passwords and ..... one of them worked!!!

NOW i just managed to log in to the box with monitor and keyboard!!!

my command prompt is :

Last login: Tue Dec 16 09:10:40 from 10.0.1.43
              [vortexbox . localdomain ~]#

not sure if i should try the fix_network rebuild command or not....?

thoughts?

Comment

Ok, so you have access to your VB web page on your browser now, which I assume shows you the IP address, etc and you can log on to the VB machine if needed. Can you recap what it is you are having problems with...can't play music, etc??

Comment

Yes, I have access to my VB web page on my browser and I can pick the icons on the left (Home, Squeezebox Server, CD/DVD Ripper / FLAC Mirror / Network Configuration / System Configuration / Setup / DNLA ) Lots of places and boxes for IP addresses etc. I can also log in on my VB using a monitor and keyboard and I have the following command prompt;

Last login: Tue Dec 16 09:10:40 from 10.0.1.43
                  [vortexbox . localdomain ~]#

...I'm scared to type anything in, I don't want to screw things up even further!

So what’s the issue…in short, I no longer can access / play my stored music on the Vortexbox using my Sonos system. I have checked and confirmed my Sonos is pointing to the VB - that hasn't changed

I suspect the IP address(s) are not matching up somewhere…please keep in mind the whole IP address thing is confusing. What I did in order to access the VB page, as recommended by the installer is the following;
                  1. On my MacBook pro, I changed the TCPIP address to manual
                  2. I entered the VB IP address I had but changed the last number from xxx.xxx.xxx.205 to xxx.xxx.xxx.2 and when I did that the VB page came up!
                  I have no idea what to do from here....

What does the fix_network rebuild command do?
                  Last edited by Parsonsk; 03-05-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

login with your monitor and keyboard. You were given the username root and the password vortexbox in post #7 above.

Type ifconfig this will give you the ip address.

Follow this to reset your IP address

http://wiki.vortexbox.org/how_do_i_r...n_my_vortexbox
                    Last edited by agillis; 03-05-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Ok here's tonights update.

- logged on via monitor and keyboard - CHECK
                      - ifconfig - CHECK
                      - reset IP address - CHECK
                      - can access my VB home page - CHECK
                      - can view the VB on my MacBook as shared folder - CHECK
                      - play music on Sonos - CHECK!!!

Problems / Questions
                      - How come my IP address is not like everyone else 192.168......? mine is 10.0.0.xxx which is almost the same as my modem
                      - Can i change what the vortexbox is called in my "finder" on my MacBook? Right now it's just the IP address but used to be called Vortexbox

You guys have been great! Thank you!!!
                      beers on me!

Comment

1. That IP range was chosen by your modem manufacture.

2. Not sure. it should show up as VortexBox.

Comment

As an aside, earlier you mentioned that you might have to reinstall Vortexbox and then re-rip your CDs. You should never have to rerip your CDs if you have a backup of the files. If you don't have a backup, you should do this immediately. One can easily backup your files from the Vortexbox to an attached USB portable drive. Vortexbox GUI has an icon related to backup (and restore).

Comment

Working...
                          X