Trouble Backing-up to USB Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Backing-up to USB Drive

I am trying to backup my Vortex drive for the first time. The process is not working. Looks like it wants me to "Mount" the USB drive but I don't know that that means and the related posts seem unrelated to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The images below show the Backup Log and the System Info.

Backup Log.jpgSystem Info.jpg

Please describe what you have. Do you have an external drive plugged into the VB? Those pic's don't work BTW

Comment

That is too bad about the pictures, they work on my end. They are thumbnails and if you select them they open an http://pic
      I have a vortexbox with SW version: 2.2, Linux OS Version: Fedora release 16 (Verne)
      I am trying to back up to a 4TB external USB hard drive. I have attempted the back up from a couple, but not all, of the USB slots. Could one of them be specific for a backup?
      I connect the USB and select the Backup icon.
      The log file says:
      Backup/storage to USB drive...
      mount: you must specify the filesystem type
      Mount of USB drive/dev/sdb1 failed; cannot do Backup.

Comment

Have you formatted the drive? I believe it should present a format option for new drives. There is a format icon on the BU page also.

Comment

Second the format suggestion, I had a similar problem that worked once I selected the format option!

Comment

This drive is already formated and has other data on it. Is that a problem? I could buy a separate drive to back up this if that is necessary.

Comment

Just do the format under Vortexbox again

Comment

Originally posted by RobotsEatDoughnuts View Post
                This drive is already formated and has other data on it. Is that a problem? I could buy a separate drive to back up this if that is necessary.
                Depends on which format was used. Is it NTSF?

Comment

my advice is to have a separate drive just to backup the VB, format it using the GUI and away you go. if you format the drive you already have, then obviously you will lose all the data on it

Comment

Originally posted by RobotsEatDoughnuts View Post
                    As far as I understand,/remember:
                    When an USB drive is formated by Vortexbox as a back-up drive, it is wiped clean!

On the formatted drive you'll find a "storage" folder/directory and a textfile "VortexBox.txt", this file contains one line, like "This is a VortexBox backup drive created on Sat Oct 22 16:10:16 CEST 2016"
                    After a back-up you will also find a ".lastbackup" file (and maybe a ".lastrestore" file).

It is possible to place other data on your Vortexbox USB back-up drive, as long as you keep the structure (top-level: Vortexbox.txt + storage).
                    Do not put your data in "storage" otherwise it will be deleted everytime you perform a back-up (or copied to your Vortexbox when you restore)!
                    Instead create new folder(s) alongside "storage", this will survive a Vortexbox back-up!

Technically it should be possilble to prepare an already in use USB drive without formatting by creating a "storage" folder and the text file (if you have a small spare USB thumbdrive, format this one instead in your Vortexbox and copy the files to your intended backup drive).

BTW keep your back-ups tidy, clear, and up-to-date.
                    In the past I used a USB as back-up with more room than my Vortexbox, so had other things backed-up on this drive aswell, rather clumsy when you are in need of something from the past, now I use the Vortexbox as a full household NAS and have several copies as back-up.

cheers
                    /bart
                    Last edited by bart; 01-13-2018, 07:11 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                    X