Roon Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roon Server

Been running 2 VB's (one at gf place) with no problem what so ever for years. The one at my house is VB>DAC(usb)>preamp. Now there is alot of talking about Roon Server on another forum and i found out its possible to run roon server on a VB given you have CPU and RAM enough for it.

Now to the big question. What benefit would it give me to install and run a roon server on my VB instead of LMS ?

Much nicer (IMHO) and more modern user interface, informative articles on artists and albums, roon radio, control apps for most devices, multi room capability if you use additional end points, digital signal processing (upsampling, room correction etc) and no doubt a few more things that I've forgotten or don't use myself.

If you load Roon core onto your vortexbox it isn't instead of LMS, LMS is still available if you want it. The Vortexbox interface is still good for ripping cd's, software updates etc.

I recommend trying Roon but after the free trial period it comes down to if you think it is worth the cost or not.

Comment

I wonder if all these new extra features and gimmicks, a few of which nobody will ever use, are worth the price one has to pay for Roon! I doubt it!
      However, I agree that the LMS user interface could be improved and modernized.
      Having said that I use Muso (http://klarita.net/muso.html) as the interface with my LMS. Muso comes with an array of useful features, it costs Euros 20 (US23) for an unrestricted lifetime multi-seat licence and it has a superior support service provided by the developer. I am only a happy user and I definitely recommend you try this piece of software.
      Attached you will one image with the layout of the music collection - you can easily create your own - and another one with some of the detail one can have for every specific album/songs. As you can see I am into jazz but Muso also specifically supports classic music tagging.Click image for larger version

Name:	muso1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	1310Click image for larger version

Name:	muso2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	1311

Comment

I've been running Roon Server instead of LMS on my Vortexbox for over a year and there is no way I'd go back. Much better sound, much more flexible, amazing interface which I use every day. I love it (including all the "features and gimmicks, by the way!) I posted a how to install Roon on VB thread on this forum a while back...

Comment

Here it is: https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/main...n-on-vortexbox

Comment

Roon has a lot of different aspects to it,it is unlikely they will all be of benefit to an individual user but I don't doubt that they are all valuable features to many among the Roon user base. I haven't seen anything from Roon that I think could fairly be described as a gimmick. A nice user interface with well presented meta data may not be worth $500 to you but it will be to some. Add in upsampling, room correction and multi room capability and if those features are used to the full I would say that it starts to look positively good value. Hardware alternatives to achieve the same functionality would be much more expensive.

I find Roon to be a good match to my existing Vortexbox hardware (which runs Roon core) and with a free trial there is no downside to trying it out for yourself.

Comment

It is not cheap to say the least but if there is an significant upgrade in soundquality maby i'll jump on the train.

Comment

If you are going to run Roon on existing Vortexbox hardware (I do so and very successfully) then there would be no reason to expect any change in sound quality.
                Changing your speakers, amplifier, dac, roon enpoint, listening room, sofa etc etc may all of course lead to changes in sound quality

Comment

Done most of the tweeks at my home with good results. Im using my VB as a tool to find new music (spotify) and of cours play music from the harddrive. Most of my listening come from my turtable. So if there is no improvement in soundquality using Roon i'll probably pass. I totally agree that the LMS inteface is a sad story.

Comment

There is something different in the Roon software that makes it sound different from LMS. Whether it's the way RAAT manipulates the data or the difference between Roon Ready players and Squeeze players, in my system with 100% the same hardware and the same music files, installing Roon and using the Roon player software improved the sound quality. YMMV.

Comment

In my system the move from using LMS on the Vortexbox hardware to using Roon on the same hardware (into the same dac, amp and speakers) did not result in any change in sound quality.
                      It was great with LMS and it is great with Roon, but it's not different or better.

My first impression was that there was a change and an improvement with Roon. But repeated listening tests cold not reveal any substance to this initial impression, I put it down to psychology and expectation bias rather than fact. Others may have a different experience or explanation.

Comment

I would hate to start a rant on the merits or demerits of Roon or LMS. It is definitely not my intention. I simply wanted to point out that IMO LMS is still your best bet. Specially if you add a better and more aesthetically pleasing frontend like the one I referred to above. I agree with EricJ. If you are willing to upgrade "your speakers, amplifier, dac, roon enpoint, listening room, sofa etc etc may all of course lead to changes in sound quality".
                        Otherwise it will be more a matter of faith than reason!

Comment

I should have clarified that digital signal processing (dsp) whether it's upsampling or room correction is one area where Roon can potentially dramatically improve sound quality.
                          But with like for like playback of Cd quality lossless flac files without dsp then as far as I am able to tell LMS and Roon perform identically on my system.

Comment

Keep in mind that Roon only works with one streaming service (Tidal). So if one wants to use Spotify, Roon is not useful. I have Roon too because I wanted to play around with it. I like it, the interface with "information" is very well done, it doesn't sound different to me from LMS (but I use no upsampling or other DSP in Roon, just playing FLAC, 16/44.1 files. But I still use LMS 99% of the time.

Comment

Hello. I am following the instructions but am getting a curl 60 error that the Peer's SSL has expired. I get this with several repos I tried to get the cifs-utils. Anyone have a workaround or does anyone know the issue with the fedora mirror site?

Update: In order to fix this I added sslverify to the etc/dnf/dnf.conf file.
                              Last edited by adk highlander; 02-04-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X