Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic vortexbox/NAS question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I guess I don't like clutter. Compared to the Linn you are testing or just using my Naim Qute it is convoluted. With the Linn or Naim you have an ethernet cord, power cord and analog interconnect. With the Sonore its multiple boxes all inter connected. You get power going to the PSU. Cable from PSU to MicroRendu, which also has ethernet in. Then USB out to the Gumby, which has a power cord in and analog interconnects out.

    So the Linn or Naim is 4 cables - Power, Ethernet, L and R analog
    MicroRendu is 7 cables.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by brubacca View Post
      I guess I don't like clutter. Compared to the Linn you are testing or just using my Naim Qute it is convoluted. With the Linn or Naim you have an ethernet cord, power cord and analog interconnect. With the Sonore its multiple boxes all inter connected. You get power going to the PSU. Cable from PSU to MicroRendu, which also has ethernet in. Then USB out to the Gumby, which has a power cord in and analog interconnects out.

      So the Linn or Naim is 4 cables - Power, Ethernet, L and R analog
      MicroRendu is 7 cables.
      Got it, that makes a lot of sense. I'm not a fan of clutter either which happens very easily.

      Comment


      • #18
        I will post something on the bulletin board shortly about using the Raspberry pi, Jivelight and high quality DAC. In my opinion this is the absolute best bang for your buck that can ever be achieved. It would be an answer to some of the questions raised in this thread but if I post it here it will go un-noticed on the bulletin board. I think it will be of great value to newbies and others in general. Hence I will add it as a new BB post titled "best bang for your buck" shortly. Look out for it.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by SeanMiddleton View Post
          I will post something on the bulletin board shortly about using the Raspberry pi, Jivelight and high quality DAC. In my opinion this is the absolute best bang for your buck that can ever be achieved. It would be an answer to some of the questions raised in this thread but if I post it here it will go un-noticed on the bulletin board. I think it will be of great value to newbies and others in general. Hence I will add it as a new BB post titled "best bang for your buck" shortly. Look out for it.
          Looking forward to the info. Where is the bulletin board located?

          Comment


          • #20
            https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/main...uid-in-my-case

            Comment


            • #21
              Which Linn are you testing and how does it sound?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by brubacca View Post
                Which Linn are you testing and how does it sound?
                I tested out the magik and I think it sounds pretty good, although not as spectacular as I hoped. I did a direct comparison with the linn feeding signal directly to a classe sigma ssp pre/pro using it's dac and there was a noticeable difference but wouldn't say one was better, just different characters. I am tempted to try the akurate which I've heard is another step above (but significantly more costly). Also going to demo the sim audio 280d.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Rendu devices are pretty much plug and play as long as you understand the user interface and set the proper player in its software.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by dyohn View Post
                    Rendu devices are pretty much plug and play as long as you understand the user interface and set the proper player in its software.
                    It sounds like that but obviously you need to invest in a DAC in addition to the rendu. Not saying the linn is the best option but they do make very good DAC's

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Seems very complicated...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by cherishjoo View Post
                        Seems very complicated...
                        It's not. A microRendu is the easiest way to get a USB DAC onto your network.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X