Basic vortexbox/NAS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic vortexbox/NAS question

If one is using a vortexbox as a NAS only and another streamer is connected to the network (has a correct ip adress, etc), should the streamer show up as an icon on the main vortexbox screen? I have tried to do so with 2 different streamers hooked to DAC's and nothing appears on the vortexbox screen.
    Thanks in advance

When playing music using another device connected to your VortexBox, nothing appears in the web interface of the VortexBox to indicate a connected device.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhocking View Post
      When playing music using another device connected to your VortexBox, nothing appears in the web interface of the VortexBox to indicate a connected device.
      Peter- No, the other device is not directly connected to my vortexbox but is just plugged via ethernet into the same home network that the vortexbox is networked to.

Comment

No, the other 'streamer' shouldn't show up in your Vortexbox. Vortexbox is a media server (with the capability of also being a player) so it has no reason to display other streamers or interact with them in any way. I'm talking about the Vortexbox GUI here.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanMiddleton View Post
          No, the other 'streamer' shouldn't show up in your Vortexbox. Vortexbox is a media server (with the capability of also being a player) so it has no reason to display other streamers or interact with them in any way. I'm talking about the Vortexbox GUI here.
          Sean-
          What I'm confused about than is how to use the vortexbox as a media server/NAS without something connected directly to it. If I have a streaming device connected via Ethernet, do I need to use a separate app to control the streamer. By example, I am demoing a Linn streamer. To control it, would I go to the vortexbox screen and use minim server or could I just install minimserver exclusively on my computer and access that way.

Comment

You use the Linn Kazoo app to control the Linn. You setup the vortexbox ans the server in the app and Kazoo will find you linn streamer. The app connects the two.

Comment

Originally posted by brubacca View Post
              You use the Linn Kazoo app to control the Linn. You setup the vortexbox ans the server in the app and Kazoo will find you linn streamer. The app connects the two.
              Ahhh......it's not quite connecting using the app, keeps saying "waiting for room" but I see the option to add the vortebox, just need to figure out now why the app won't fire up it won't start up. Not sure how I missed that!
              Thank you!

Comment

All I had to do was reboot the network and it picked it up for me. Works perfectly. Thanks for your help! Embarrassed to have missed it. Do streamers essentially all work the same way using the vortexbox as a nas?

Comment

I have only used 3 streamers. Naim UnitiQute, Sonore MicroRendu and Squeezebox touch. They basically work the same with the Vortexbox. Squeezebox products are proprietary and only work with THE logitech media server built into Vortexbox. The Naim can use the included normal style remote or the Naim App. The Sonore can use Linn Kazoo app or Lumin app (actually the mR has many modes and can be used several ways). I used the Kazoo App briefly with the MicroRendu.

Basically Minimserver puts out DNLA or is it DLNA data. Anything that can read this type of data can be used with Vortexbox.

its complicated.

Comment

I have an IT background. It helped figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevine31 View Post
                      All I had to do was reboot the network and it picked it up for me. Works perfectly. Thanks for your help! Embarrassed to have missed it. Do streamers essentially all work the same way using the vortexbox as a nas?
                      Yes, if you mean just using VB as a storage device. Many of us use LMS, the server app for the the Logitech Squeezebox system, which is part of the package included with VB. So for us, the app is already loaded. Sonos is similar. If you want to just use it for storage you still need a server app to manage the music library and stream to the players. Where is the Linn app loaded..on a network PC?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmi View Post

Yes, if you mean just using VB as a storage device. Many of us use LMS, the server app for the the Logitech Squeezebox system, which is part of the package included with VB. So for us, the app is already loaded. Sonos is similar. If you want to just use it for storage you still need a server app to manage the music library and stream to the players. Where is the Linn app loaded..on a network PC?
                        Yes, the linn app is both on there and now on an iPhone. It seemed to work well with both.

Comment

I have only used 3 streamers. Naim UnitiQute, Sonore MicroRendu and Squeezebox touch. They basically work the same with the Vortexbox. Squeezebox products are proprietary and only work with THE logitech media server built into Vortexbox. The Naim can use the included normal style remote or the Naim App. The Sonore can use Linn Kazoo app or Lumin app (actually the mR has many modes and can be used several ways). I used the Kazoo App briefly with the MicroRendu.

Basically Minimserver puts out DNLA or is it DLNA data. Anything that can read this type of data can be used with Vortexbox.

its complicated.
                          If you don't mind my asking since I thought of it as an option, how did you like the MicroRendu. Any feeling about sound quality?

Comment

I have mixed feeling about the MicroRendu. It sounds amazing and is a great transport. That is no doubt. My hesistation is the fact that it its ends up being quite expensive. Let me explain
                            1- MicroRendu $650
                            1- AudioQuest Cinnamon Cable USB - $65
                            1- Teddy Pardo PSU $370

so in my system I'm at $1,085 before DAC. I use a Schiit Gumby $1,300... I'm in at $2,385. That is not inexpensive. Plus Schiit has the new Gen 5 USB upgrade at about $200, so I'm up to $2,595.
                            Sounds amazing, but when you add it up its not an inexpensive proposition.

Its very flexible, it is a great transport, you have to use an app to control. Its a bit convoluted to setup, but the support is excellent.

Comment

I have mixed feeling about the MicroRendu. It sounds amazing and is a great transport. That is no doubt. My hesistation is the fact that it its ends up being quite expensive. Let me explain
                              1- MicroRendu $650
                              1- AudioQuest Cinnamon Cable USB - $65
                              1- Teddy Pardo PSU $370

so in my system I'm at $1,085 before DAC. I use a Schiit Gumby $1,300... I'm in at $2,385. That is not inexpensive. Plus Schiit has the new Gen 5 USB upgrade at about $200, so I'm up to $2,595.
                              Sounds amazing, but when you add it up its not an inexpensive proposition.

Its very flexible, it is a great transport, you have to use an app to control. Its a bit convoluted to setup, but the support is excellent.
                              Thanks for your feedback. What is convoluted about the setup. It sounds like it is just mostly plug/play as an interface with LMS controlling it but is there more to it?

Comment

Working...
                              X