feeling ripped off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeling ripped off!

Hi - I am not a techie at all - quite the opposite. I've just bought a Vortex box off eBay because it said all you had to do was pop in a CD and it ripped it and found the track and album details. All I get when I try is unknown album- unknown artist. Looking on here, it appears to me that the software now doesn't work and I have bought an expensive tin box - am I correct?

based on recent comments - it does appear to have lost that functionality - still works well as a plex and squeezebox server though.

Comment

And you didn't buy Vortexbox software. You bought some hardware. Vortexbox software is free and can be installed on many different computers.
      p.s. I've owned many Vortexbox "Appliances" and still use two of them. But I've never used VB software for ripping CDs. I use dbpoweramp and then copy the files over to my VB.

Comment

I was going to say "ask for your money back." As much as we'd all like this or that, I'm incredibly grateful to Andrew for what he created with the Vortexbox project regardless of what becomes of it.

Comment

In fairness to the OP, he didn't say that he felt ripped off by the software, nor that he bought software. He bought a product (hardware/software package) from an eBay seller and it doesn't have the functionality which was advertised. He should take that up with the seller. The seller may not actually realise that the autorip lookup function is broken; I didn't until I happened onto this thread, but I did wonder why the most recent CDs I've ripped came back as unknown. I assumed it was because (as sometimes happens with lesser known CDs) that happens anyway.

Sadly, this might be the last straw for me. I've been using Vortexbox happily for many years (since 2012), but recently the only things that have been keeping me from jumping ship are autorip and lookup (now broken) and Bliss integration (I can run Bliss on my collection from my PC). It's really sad as I've enjoyed using Vortexbox, but it doesn't seem to be getting the love and attention it needs to keep it viable - I'm sure for very good reasons, appreciating that it was a labour of love and not a commercial venture. But for any platform to survive, it needs to attract new users - the thread starter here has NOT had a good experience as a new user and I suspect anyone starting with Vortexbox from scratch today would end up feeling the same. I suspect I'm going to set my 2.5 setup aside and see how I get on using something like Max2Play or PiCorePlayer (both of which I'm using as players now anyway). I can always come back if I don't like them or if things change in the VB world.

Am I missing something or being too pessimistic?

Comment

I still use 2 VB servers, but I've also setup piCorePlayer LMS servers as backup severs and they work EXTREMELY well, and are currently well supported by users (over at the slimdevices forum). I too have loved using my VBs (but never as a CD ripper), but as a platform it has certainly slowed down. And without Ron Olson around, it's hard to get much help on how to do things for us nonLinux users.

edit: the piCorePlayer with LMS is installed on a rPi4B, and my music (about 113,000, mostly FLAC files) are on a portable USB 4TB drive directly attached to the rPi. It is pretty snappy, and not noticeably different from my VB.
            Last edited by garym; 07-15-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks Gary - sounds like we are thinking similarly, but you are ahead of me. How was your music stored for VB and was it fairly straightforward to get the PCP LMS server pointing to it?

I liked using VB as my ripper as I'm lazy and it was as simple as placing the CD in the slot. Not sure I'm going to find anything else that easy. but ripping CDs isn't an everyday chore.

I like the small footprint of PCP and the fact that it runs in RAM, but I'm also inclined towards Max2Play as the Bluetooth capability (if I can ever get it to work) allows you to stream Amazon Prime music as a channel in LMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Fifer View Post
                Thanks Gary - sounds like we are thinking similarly, but you are ahead of me. How was your music stored for VB and was it fairly straightforward to get the PCP LMS server pointing to it?

I liked using VB as my ripper as I'm lazy and it was as simple as placing the CD in the slot. Not sure I'm going to find anything else that easy. but ripping CDs isn't an everyday chore.

I like the small footprint of PCP and the fact that it runs in RAM, but I'm also inclined towards Max2Play as the Bluetooth capability (if I can ever get it to work) allows you to stream Amazon Prime music as a channel in LMS.
                Music on VB is on a internal 4TB drive. I always backed this up using the VB webGUI backup process, and the music files were all backed up to a USB drive in any case. So I just backed up to a 4TB drive, and used this to connect to my rPi. That took a lot of hours I recall (maybe 12 or more), but I don't think my VB is USB3.0 capable. Do note that if you have lots of playlists, these do backup too, but you'll need to go in and do a "find and replace" on the front references to each track on playlist to match up with the new file locations. This is trivial, once you figure out what the new file reference is, and can be done in a batch manner with ALL your playlists at once, using, for example, NOTEPAD++.

edit: piCorePlayer on rPi has bluetooth capability too, but not sure about how that works with Amazon prime.
                Last edited by garym; 07-15-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/supp...=3295#post3295

The post at the link above should help people fix this issue (it does require a bit of basic Linux editing).

Comment

I haven't done a ton of Linux work, and its been years, but couldn't someone develop a script that would use grep to edit the file and make the changes. Are there any Linux gurus here that could do it?
                    Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                    X