X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agillis
    started a topic Installing VortexBox 2.5 on an NUC

Installing VortexBox 2.5 on an NUC

A lot of NUCs use NVMe drives. At the moment no VortexBox image will run on those. Is anybody trying to install on a box that uses NVMe?

• Wirrunna
    replied
    SB64, I agree that docd.sh is not the problem. I have exceeded my level of Linux knowledge, I suspect there is something in the VB startup script that needs to be updated for NVME drives.

Andrew says that NVME drives won't work with VB, so I'll wait until there is a version that wil work with nvme0n1p4 and not sda4.
    The box I have https://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/...0310%20Series/ has space for 2 SSD drives so I will try VB2.5 on a spare SSD.

Clonezilla has a note "If your machine comes with uEFI secure boot enabled, you have to use AMD64 version of alternative (Ubuntu-based) Clonezilla live." that overcomes SeanMiddleton's problem.
    Expand the VB2.5 zip and extract the vortexbox-25-20190306 folder onto a second USB, then using Clonezilla AMD64 version manually select the image and install to your SSD.

Leave a comment:

• SB64
    replied
    docd.sh is a bash script tied to the cd ripping and the message suggests it can't find a cd/dvd drive that would ordinarily be mounted on dev/sr0 - I don't know why this would be running continuously on a rescue boot attempt.

Do you have a drive connected/mounted?

Leave a comment:

• Wirrunna
    replied
    By extracting the vortexbox-25-20190306 folder from the VB 2.5 beta and using Clonezilla I was able to install onto an NVME drive, but it hangs during the boot sequence immediately following the console message "Reached target Basic System" with a message "A start job is running for dev-disk .... (49s / no limit)" and the only way I have found to break out is to Ctl+Alt+Del.
    The Rescue boot works though, allowing login as root.

In the rescue login, I used journalctl to look for errors and there are an unending list of "docd.sh[506]: /dev/sr0 cannot be opened : No such file or directory"
    Anyone got any ideas ?

Leave a comment:

• colinp
    replied
    It's been a while since I last had to mess with my VortexBox and the instructions in the previous post may not be what I need. I have /storage on an HDD in my NUC and everything else on an SSD. If I install 2.5 from a USB stick, will it mess with my HDD or leave it alone?

Leave a comment:

• SB64
    replied
    I followed these guides:

https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/supp...sd-data-on-hdd
    https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/supp...ive-to-storage

Seem to remember that part being fairly straightforwards - at least in comparison to putting the image on the NUC's NVMe drive.

Leave a comment:

• dyohn
    replied
    Originally posted by SB64 View Post
    After nuking my old box (don’t ask) it took me a day of hacking around and tinkering with things I didn’t really know about to get VB2.5 running on a newly acquired NUC8I7BEH3 with a Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB running the OS and two 8TB HDD for the storage directory...
    What commands did you use to create your volume group for those 2x8Tb drives?

Leave a comment:

• SB64
    replied
    After nuking my old box (don’t ask) it took me a day of hacking around and tinkering with things I didn’t really know about to get VB2.5 running on a newly acquired NUC8I7BEH3 with a Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB running the OS and two 8TB HDD for the storage directory...

Leave a comment:

• Wirrunna
    replied
    I was just about to, most parts just arrived, not quite a NUC - https://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/...0310%20Series/
    allows you to choose CPU and standard Intel heatsink/fan fits. Uses NVME M2 drive but also has provision for two sata 2 1/2" 9mm drives.

My strategy (until I read this) was to attempt to build from the VortexBox 2.5 USB image. If that didn't work I was going to install to an SSD then use CloneZilla to clone to the NVME drive. If that didn't work I was going to clone from the test VB that I ran up to Fedora 27 a while ago.

I will use an 8TB Seagate Expansion USB3 drive for storage (still waiting for delivery) but can try it out using a 1TB USB3.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X