VortexBox 2.5 BETA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeanMiddleton View Post
    When booting from teh USB install stick the only option I have is Clonezilla. It goes straight into Clonezilla. There are no other options that I can find. I've tried arrows Ctrl C etc and no joy. I can drop out to the command line and I get a [email protected] prompt

In light of that, I suggest starting from scratch and download a fresh copy of the VB 2.5 beta and copy it to a usb stick and make bootable.
    sounds like something is missing..?

Comment

I intend to install VB 2.5 BETA on new computer using a 2.5 SSD for the OS plus 2 additional HDDs (1TB & 500MB) for storage. Is this an acceptable setup for 2.5 if I follow instructions for installing VB 2.4 on multiple drives? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Can we burn & install 2.5 beta from a CD?

Comment

Installed VB 2.5 beta from USB stick, and then installed Roon Server. There were a couple things I needed for Roon that were not in the Vortexbox repo (probably because 2.5 is beta) so I got them from Fedora. All is well, it runs great and much snappier than 2.4.

Last edited by dyohn; 03-23-2019, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately Fedora 25 reached EOL on 12/12/2017 and is not receiving security updates, et cetera. I've become security-conscious enough listening to the TWiT Network's "Security Now" podcast that I wouldn't feel comfortable running anything less than a still-supported OS these days. There are simply too many bad actors out there looking for unpatched systems to exploit.

Comment

I have tried 3 times now to prepare the USB boot drive. I followed the instructions precisely and executed the 64 bit batch file. All went as per the instructions. However, when I then install the thumb drive in my motherboard and boot it boots into Clonezilla, not the Vortexbox installation script. As I said I have prepared the thumb drive 3 times now and its always the same; boots into Clonezilla. Anybody have any hints or ideas ?

Comment

Not sure what is happening with the USB instructions but an idea might be to download the iso image and burn that to a USB using a tool like rufus. Rufus is free.
                https://rufus.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by pclinux1 View Post
                  Not sure what is happening with the USB instructions but an idea might be to download the iso image and burn that to a USB using a tool like rufus. Rufus is free.
                  https://rufus.ie/
                  Many thanks for that idea. If I can find the ISO I'll give it a try tonight ! ISO doesn't seem to be listed on the downloads page ??
                  Last edited by SeanMiddleton; 03-26-2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doris1997 View Post
                    Can we burn & install 2.5 beta from a CD?
                    No USB install only.

It's much easier to install from a USB key and you don't need to waste a burn once CD.
                    Last edited by agillis; 03-26-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by agillis View Post

No USB install only.

It's much easier to install from a USB key and you don't need to waste a burn once CD.
                      Hi Andrew

What could cause the USB key to boot into Clonezilla, rather than the VB 2.5 installation sequence ?? This is what the USB key does on my motherboard.

Comment

Hi Andrew

What could cause the USB key to boot into Clonezilla, rather than the VB 2.5 installation sequence ?? This is what the USB key does on my motherboard.
                        You need a monitor and keyboard attached to your installation target, and on the first screen after booting to the USB drive, select the "Vortexbox 2.5 Beta" selection using the arrow up key on your keyboard, then press enter.

Comment

Just tested cd-ripper and it kinda works, but on the test disk i tried i get two problems:
                          - even if DNS is confirmed working an error says "not connected to internet"
                          - When finished the CD does not auto eject but instead starts over again and rip to a new folder *_2 etc.

Is there a setting here that i can change?

Comment

Originally posted by dyohn View Post

You need a monitor and keyboard attached to your installation target, and on the first screen after booting to the USB drive, select the "Vortexbox 2.5 Beta" selection using the arrow up key on your keyboard, then press enter.
                            Yes I have monitor and keyboard connected but when the USB key boots it boots strait into Clonezilla. There is no "Vortexbox 2.5 Beta" selection. I just have the Clonezilla logo and the various video options you want to start Clonezilla in

Comment

Yes I have monitor and keyboard connected but when the USB key boots it boots strait into Clonezilla. There is no "Vortexbox 2.5 Beta" selection. I just have the Clonezilla logo and the various video options you want to start Clonezilla in
                              I have also experienced this. I have a laptop that does this. The menu have lot's of clonezilla items in it but nothing regarding vortexbox.
                              Same USB key showed a different boot screen on the machine i wanted to install to, so i did not have to do anything different.
                              Maybe it have something to do with choosing legacy boot to do?
                              Make sure UEFI is turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by TekniskM View Post
                                Just tested cd-ripper and it kinda works, but on the test disk i tried i get two problems:
                                - even if DNS is confirmed working an error says "not connected to internet"
                                - When finished the CD does not auto eject but instead starts over again and rip to a new folder *_2 etc.

Is there a setting here that i can change?
                                Hi again, i tried reinstalling the vortexbox to version 2.4 and the problem persists with CD not ejecting and just starting over and over again.
                                Probably should not ask here, but since i have started i can just as well let people know that it is not 2.5 related. Anyone have any suggestions about what i could to about this problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X