Virtual Machines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Machines

I just got my hands on a server box that was designed to run VMWare's ESXi. Does anyone run VB as a VM at home? What other VMs do you have running?

I'm thinking of creating a VB and some sort of NAS one but am looking for ideas at this point.

A number of users on this forum are using VMs. I have been running VortexBox in a VM for well over 12 months using VirtualBox.

Comment

I've been running VB as a virtual machine, hosted on a Linux server for over three years. I use libvirt which is the backend behind Virtual Machine Manager on Ubuntu. There was an initial installation problem with booting the VB iso. I don't recall exactly, but it involved being explicit about the disk type (I think I had to use a virtual SCSI and not the generic VDA). This df output shows you some of the device mappings, which should help if you use libvirt....

PHP Code:
      root@vortexbox starman  # df -h  Filesystem                            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on devtmpfs                              3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev tmpfs                                 3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /dev/shm tmpfs                                 3.9G  496K  3.9G   1% /run tmpfs                                 3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup /dev/sda4                             3.5G  3.1G  136M  96% / tmpfs                                 3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /tmp /dev/sda2                             283M   76M  189M  29% /boot 192.168.1.1:/mypool/music           679G  150G  530G  23% /storage/music 192.168.1.1:/mypool/movies          1.8T  1.3T  530G  72% /storage/movies 192.168.1.1:/mypool/tvshows         693G  164G  530G  24% /storage/tvshows tmpfs                                 799M     0  799M   0% /run/user/1000 
      Last edited by tkforbes; 04-03-2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

VMWare's ESXi is great. I use it a lot here. We even provide an a prebuilt ESXi image for you to use.

Comment

I just installed VortexBox within VirtualBox and Squeezebox Server is running and everything seems to be working EXCEPT: I cannot get it to share my Music Library that resides on my Windows 10 machine. I select Devices->Insert Guest Additions CD image ... but nothing comes back afterwards and I know it needs to perform this successfully in order to mount the external shared folder. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Comment

The easiest solution would be to move your music library to the appropriate folder in the virtual machine.

Comment

I'm not sure where this is Devices->Insert Guest Additions CD image" or what you are talking about but you need to mount a smb drive from command line.

Comment

Working...
              X